To help with the most frequent enquiries, we have prepared the questions and answers below. Should you not find a response to your query, or would like further information on a particular subject, do not hesitate to get in touch with us – you’ll find all the details you need on our Contact page. 

What does the law say about the cost of care?

According to UK Law, residents of care homes are required to contribute towards the cost of their care. Depending on individual circumstances, it is also possible to receive financial assistance from your Local Authority who will carry out a financial assessment to see if you are eligible for help with paying fees. While we advise you to speak to them directly, here is a brief guide:

You are not entitled to funding if your capital exceeds £23,250. 

Your local authority may pay towards costs if your capital is between £14,250 – £23,250. Note, for every £250 that you have over the lower amount, the local authority will deduct £1 per week from their contribution.

Your local authority will pay for Residential or Nursing Home costs to a certain level if your capital is less than £14,250.

When the charges total more than the Local Authority is willing to pay, you may have to contribute towards the fees – a process called 3rd Party Contributions or Top-Ups – and this must be paid by a relative or friend and not by the resident for legal reasons. Please keep our management team informed if your capital falls below the upper limit so we can help you arrange assessment for funding.

When continuing specialist medical treatment is required, the state will pay for the full cost of care – called Continuing Health Funding – please discuss this with our management team and your GP. We may be able to make a referral on behalf of a resident following an assessment of care to decide whether someone is entitled to continuing care fees. If an application is turned down an appeal process is available.

If you are paying fees privately, you may keep your pensions and some benefits. If you are funded by the Local Authority you will be expected to use all of your income, including your pension and benefits, to help fund your care – except for a Personal Allowance of £21.90 per week for your day to day spending money. However, if you are paid the Mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance you will continue to  receive this. If you are over 65, you will also be entitled to up to £5.25 per week of any savings credit.

When the Local Authority completes their financial assessment, they will look at all of your assets – including your home and pensions. They will only include your home if you live alone, if you have another relative that relies on the property then it will not be included in the assessment. There are specific rules regarding whether certain close relatives are able to continue to live at the home and if this is the case, then please seek further advice from your Local Authority.

Additionally the Local Authority will disregard the value of your property from your financial assessment for the 12 weeks after your admission to a Care Home, as long as your stay is permanent. This is called a ‘12 week disregard’ and after this, the property will be taken into consideration.

Is my home included in the calculation of my capital?

If your capital is under £23,000 you are eligible for financial support from the Local Authority. Your capital may not be calculated including your home if:

a child under 16 lives in the property

you are in the first 12 weeks of needing permanent care

care is being provided on a temporary basis

your parent still resides in the home

a relative over 60 resides in the house

a disabled relative lives at the property

Does the state provide any benefits that I could be entitled to?

Attendance allowance is a tax-free, state benefit. It is available to those over 65 years who have required assistance – for more than six consecutive months – with daily tasks such as washing or dressing themselves. 

This is available at two rates:

– A lower rate:  for those who need help during only the day or the night.

– A higher rate: for those who need care during both the day and night. 

To claim for attendance allowance, you must fill out a form. This can be obtained from most larger Post Offices, the Citizens Advice Bureaux, or can be downloaded directly from the website at

Individuals who are under the age of 65 and require care can still qualify for an allowance, but this is paid in the form of Disability Living Allowance.

For the latest information on benefits, current rates and how to find out if you qualify for financial assistance towards the cost of your care visit

Does the NHS provide free nursing care?

Free nursing care by the NHS does exist. A person within a nursing home who has been deemed to require a registered nurse, can have their costs paid for by the NHS. 

Anyone entering a nursing home should be assessed to see if they qualify for NHS-funded nursing care. If they do, this money will be paid directly to the nursing home. The assessment is repeated annually thereafter, and it is possible that individuals will find themselves re-banded after each assessment.

To find out the current standard and higher rate for a week in England and Wales please contact Mulberry Care Homes via the details on our Contact page.

What if I need continued health care?

The Primary Care Trust (PCT) can pay the costs for individuals who require continued health care. Eligibility is assessed by a health screening – conducted by a nurse from the PCT – followed by a panel discussion. The individual must meet a set criteria. 

The assessment should be conducted input from resident, next of kin and any other professionals involved in the person’s care. In certain circumstances, the assessment process can be fast-tracked, for example when a person is diagnosed as terminally ill with a life expectancy of one month or less.

What type of care do Mulberry Care Homes provide?

Mulberry Care Homes provide a range of specialist care from Residential Care which offers a day-to-day helping hand and nursing care for those with ongoing medical or neurological conditions, to early stage Dementia and Palliative Care. We also offer respite services to help the carer and short stay visits.

Find a detailed explanation of each service in our Care Services section.

Do Mulberry Care Homes cover specialist Dementia Care?

We have trained professionals to provide the highest standard for early stage Dementia Care. Our specialists are experienced in the nuances of dementia and work to care for and improve the lives of residents as well as provide support to families.

Are the family of residents regularly updated?

It is important to us that we keep family members updated depending on the requested method – via emails / telephone calls / meetings, or a combination of all three. Our management team are always available at any time to discuss the ongoing and changing needs of residents.  

How well are the Mulberry Care Homes staffed?

We always provide higher than the norm staffing levels in order that we continuously provide first-class care alongside the personal touch. It’s not just the philosophy for our care team, but for all the teams that support and run our care homes. 

What are the different types of resident activities Mulberry Care Homes offers?

Our Activity Coordinators run the daily activities programme which includes a mix of home and away excursions. ‘Home Activities’ can include social sessions of cards or dominoes, gardening in the grounds, or perhaps a visit to the on-site Hair and Beauty Studio. ‘Away Activities’ can include organised off-site trips, using our own specially adapted minibus to transport residents comfortably and safely.

How do I become a Mulberry Care Homes resident?

Once you are happy that you would like to join the Mulberry Care Homes family, whether for respite, short term or permanent residence and funding is agreed, we will begin the process to understand your needs. The first step is   a meeting to discuss an individual care plan. If you would like, we can organise a short stay to make sure you are 100% happy before committing to becoming a resident.

Are Mulberry Care Homes LGBT friendly?

We pride ourselves in creating a community within our care homes that is inclusive and without any form of discrimination. LGBT awareness is covered as part of our training for both the care team and support staff alike.

How do you keep Mulberry Care Homes residents personal information safe?

Please refer to our Privacy Policy for a detailed response.

How can I apply to join the Mulberry Care Homes Care Team?

If you would like to join the Mulberry Care Homes Care Team please contact us directly, we would love to hear from you. 

As a valued team member you will enter a specialist training programme to further develop your skills and to help you meet the needs of all our residents. At Mulberry Care Homes, for entry level we expect a level 2 in the National Diplomas or NVQ 2 or higher in care.

Please review our Careers Section for further information. 


If you would like to become a staff member, we would love to hear from you. 

We provide each team member with an individual specialist training programme to further develop skills and improve care knowledge. Regular support meetings and appraisals ensure progression through training that not only hones existing talents but imparts additional knowledge that will ultimately benefit the expert care and healthy lifestyle of our residents. 

At Mulberry Care Homes, for entry level we expect a level 2 in the National Diplomas or NVQ 2 or higher in care.